Disaster Relief is a mission effort of the Glocal Missions Team in which Virginia Baptists work to provide relief to those who find themselves victims of disasters in Virginia, the U.S., and around the world.
We work in partnership with the American Red Cross, The Salvation Army, Baptist conventions, agencies and other national and international partners to bring relief and hope to those in need.
We welcome the help of those called to serve in this ministry using their gifts and skills. Learn how you can become trained and certified as a disaster relief volunteer.
Disaster Relief Training
Potential Disaster Relief volunteers often ask, “Why do I have to go through training to serve as a volunteer? Why can’t I just go help people?”.
Preparation is important in any area of ministry because it enables us to be more effective in ministry. The wisdom writer in Ecclesiastes 10:10 declared, “If the ax is dull, and one does not sharpen the edge, then he must use more strength, but wisdom brings success.” Sharpening the blade will enable the tool to be more efficient, just as training helps volunteers to serve more effectively in response to those effected by disasters.
Top ten reasons to be trained:
- Training prepares us in our understanding of disasters and the needs that arise in times of disaster.
- Training enables us to respond in appropriate and effective ways.
- Training prepares us to understand our role as part of a team.
- Training enables us to sharpen our abilities, in order to be an asset not a hindrance in the response.
- Training helps us to understand hazards and safety concerns in disaster areas.
- Training prepares us to understand, in a deeper way, some of the trauma that victims face, so that we might be able to offer appropriate compassion.
- Training prepares the heart for ministry by increasing awareness of the need and different opportunities to minister.
- Training prepares the hands to be ready to serve effectively.
- Training prepares the head by gaining knowledge.
- The greatest reason to train is that God deserves our very best in all that we do. In order to achieve this, discipline, effort, and knowledge are required. Trainings are an opportunity to grow as believers, so that we are ready when God calls.
May 29, 2015 - May 30, 2015
Disaster Relief Training
Gayton Baptist Church, Henrico
We never know when disaster may strike, so being prepared is important for your family and your church. Explore our preparedness resources and learn more about making plans for your family, your church and senior adults in your church and community.