Date: April 28, 2017 - April 29, 2017
West Lynchburg Baptist Church
3031 Memorial Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24501
People matter to God, so they matter to us.
Mission Matters: for God’s witness, the Church’s vitality, our own discipleship, and the common good of our communities.
Join us for this two-day Greater Lynchburg event designed to foster regional connections and encourage renewed approaches to local and global missions. Get inspired by plenary sessions featuring keynote speakers, worship, and panel discussions, and share meals and conversation with fellow Virginia Baptists on mission. Select a focused breakout track to develop new ideas and learn about opportunities to engage in Disaster Response, Partnership Missions in Haiti, or best practices in Community Missions.
Missions training and inspiration at this event will reflect a Matthew 25:37-40 theme, as attendees in all breakout tracks develop their missional call to serve “the least of these” through a variety of ministry opportunities.
Presenters will include:
- Wendy McCaig from Embrace Richmond, on “Recognizing the most in the least of these” in Friday night’s Plenary Session I.
- John Keith from Park View Community Mission and Bill Leach from the Society of St. Andrew, on “When did we see you hungry and feed you” in Saturday’s breakout sessions and Plenary Session II panel discussion.
- Kenny Lewis from Better Together, on “When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you” in Saturday’s breakout sessions and Plenary Session II panel discussion.
- Steve Monetti from Interfaith Outreach Association’s Progressive Release Program, on “When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you” in Saturday’s breakout sessions and Plenary Session II panel discussion.
Plus BGAV staff and local church leaders providing training on Disaster Response feeding and recovering, Partnership Missions in Haiti, community gardening, the Red Truck Ministry, and other opportunities to do Missions that Matter.
Come explore and expand how Mission Matters for the transformation of your congregation, yourself, and your community.
Cost is $25 per person, including dinner Friday, lunch Saturday, and access to all of the weekend’s training opportunities and plenary sessions.
Sign up for breakout tracks in:
- Disaster Response – get trained in both feeding and recovery (flood and chainsaw) in a single day.
- Partnership Missions – receive orientation for upcoming mission trips to Haiti, or learn more about the partnership and the BGAV approach to global discipleship.
- Community Missions – learn about specific ministries in the Greater Lynchburg region and take home best practices for hunger programs, prison ministries, community gardening, ESL, and other local partnership opportunities.
Online registration has closed, but it’s not too late to join us!
Onsite registration will be available at 6:00pm on Friday and at 8:45am on Saturday.
Friday, April 28
6:00pm – Check-in and onsite registration
6:30pm – Dinner
7:30pm – Plenary Gathering I
Saturday, April 29
8:45am – Check-in and onsite registration
9:00am – Morning Devotion
9:30am – Breakout Session I
11:00am – Breakout Session II
12:15pm – Lunch
1:15pm – Plenary Gathering II
2:15pm – Breakout Session III
3:30pm – Commissioning
Tentative schedule may be adjusted, and more details about plenary speakers, breakout facilitators, and elective session content will be added soon.
Because Mission Matters is a regional event, there are no designated hotels for attendees from other parts of the state. However, if you’re interested in attending and need help securing lodging, please utilize our list of nearby hotels.
Can’t make the drive, or have other plans this weekend? Consider joining us in October for Mission Matters Waynesboro!