Date: September 29, 2018
9:00 AM - 1:45 PM
Effort Baptist Church
7820 Thomas Jefferson Parkway
Palmyra, VA 22963
Presented by the Valley and Central Regions of the BGAV
“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” -Hebrews 10:24-25
The keynote speaker for this conference will be Jim Ailor. Jim is a pastor for life and a sailor for life. Having spent 23 years in the pastorate and service as BGAV’s Field Strategist for the Northern region, he has experience with being in lifeboats, as well as launching LifeBoat ministries in several churches. He is the author of LifeBoats: Friends with Purpose – a guide to “doing life together.”
Jim’s general sessions will paint a picture of discipling in small groups using the metaphor of a lifeboat:
- You Need a Spiritual Coach
- How to Be A Spiritual Coach
Our co-breakout presenter for the event will be Tony Brooks. Tony is BGAV’s Sunday School/Discipleship Specialist and the Field Strategist for the Southside region. He’s a frequent blogger on the BGAV Blog where he shares about Sunday School, Discipleship, and related topics.
Tony’s breakout session topics include:
- The Why Behind Small Groups: Understanding the original philosophy behind Sunday School, and why we need small groups.
- Understanding the Types of Small Groups: which one do you need? We will examine the four types of small groups and discover based on context and need which ones are best for you.
9:00-9:45 a.m. – Opening & General Session One: “Man the Lifeboats” (Jim Ailor)
10:00-10:30 a.m. – Breakout Sessions
- The Why Behind Small Groups (Tony Brooks)
- You Need a Spiritual Coach (Jim Ailor)
10:45-11:15 a.m. – General Session Two: “How to Pick Your Crew” (Jim Ailor)
11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. – Lunch
12:30-1:00 p.m. – Breakout Sessions
- Understanding the Types of Small Groups (Tony Brooks)
- How to Be A Spiritual Coach (Jim Ailor)
1:00-1:45 p.m. – General Session Three: “How to Sink a Lifeboat” (Jim Ailor) & Closing Remarks
Cost: $10 per person (includes a copy of Jim Ailor’s book)
For more information contact Angela House, ministry assistant, at 800.255.2428, ext. 5293.