Date: August 25, 2018
10:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Grace Hills Baptist Church
4320 Pumping Station Rd
Appomattox, VA 24522
Presented by the Southside and Capital regions of the BGAV.
During this conference, participants will learn:
- The four essential elements of an effective small church
- Three real-life models of thriving small churches
- The five important questions every congregation should ask about its future
The seminar will feature breakout sessions, group-learning experiences, discussion, question-and-answer, futures scenario building, and PowerPoint presentations that will be available to all participants.
Breakout session topics will be:
- The Pastor as Local Theologian (Dr. Mike Lee): Discuss how pastors are called to craft theologies that are shaped for very particular communities of faith and are culturally specific, responsive, and attentive to local concerns.
- Ministry in Mayberry: Navigating a Small Church in a Small Town (Rev. Katie McKown): Discuss the joys (it’s like Cheers!) and challenges (it’s a fishbowl!) of pastoring a small church in a small town. Learn from one pastor’s mistakes and milestones.
- Bringing Your Community Together for Good (Dr. Chuck Warnock): Discuss how a small church in a small town continues to bring its community together in a variety of ways while overcoming racial, economic, and cultural barriers.
- Becoming Native to This Place (Rev. Wyatt Miles): In an increasingly global, cookie-cutter world, the small church remains rooted in its own location. Discuss the ways in which the specific setting of our churches informs what we can do as well as the challenges we face.
In addition, participants will be given handouts featuring small-church resources; data about change in American society and the status of small churches in America; and a bibliography for further reading on vibrant small churches.
Our presenter is Dr. Chuck Warnock, author of The Reconciling Community: The Missional Mending of Spiritual and Social Relationships through Local Church Ministry, and pastor of Chatham Baptist Church, Chatham, VA.
- 34 years of pastoral experience in 4 small and 3 medium size churches.
- Blogged for Outreach Magazine under the blog title, “Confessions of a Small Church Pastor” from 2006 to 2010.
- Now ChuckWarnock.com, the blog has been viewed over 1.6 million times by 550,000 unique visitors.
- Served as Outreach Magazine’s contributing editor for small church issues from 2008-2010.
- Small church conference leader at Outreach’s National Outreach Convention 2007-2010.
- Small church speaker and conference leader at The Billy Graham School of Evangelism at The Cove near Asheville, NC, in 2008.
Cost: $10 per person (lunch provided)
Register online by August 20 at 12:00 p.m.
Note: Childcare for children 12 and under is available for $10/child. Children will also be served lunch.
For more information contact Angela House at email@example.com.