Date: February 10, 2017 - February 11, 2017
Mount Vernon Baptist Church
11220 Nuckols Road
Glen Allen, VA 23059
VA Baptist 3-5 Octave Handbell Festival, Richmond Area
- Date: February 10-11, 2017
- Location:11220 Nuckols Rd., Glen Allen VA 23059
- Mount Vernon Baptist Church
- Time: Friday, 7:15-9:00 pm, Saturday, 8:30 am-noon
- Director: Cathy Moklebust
Cathy Moklebust has developed and directed handbell music programs since 1983, and has played bells since childhood. With her dynamic, positive approach and skilled, expressive conducting, she is in national demand as a handbell clinician and festival conductor. As one of today’s most popular handbell music composers, she has numerous published compositions and arrangements to her credit, many of them reaching bestseller status. Her music has been described as “pure joy to ring and listen to, having a uniquely delightful sense of melodic and rhythmic interaction, with elegant form and style.” She has been commissioned to write music for festivals and other events, as well as for many individual handbell ensembles, including nine for the Raleigh Ringers. She began her musical career as a public school instrumental music instructor in eastern South Dakota. She has performed as principal or section percussionist with several professional and community bands and orchestras throughout the upper Midwest. Currently, Moklebust and her husband, David, operate Moklebust Music Services, a music preparation service. Moklebust earned both her B.A. (Music/Percussion, 1982) and M.Ed. (Teacher Education/Music, 1988) at South Dakota State University. Moklebust and her husband reside in Brookings, South Dakota.
- “The Lord Is My Shepherd”; Cathy Moklebust; Choristers Guild #CGB628
- “Rejoice! He Is Risen! (Rejoice in the Spirit)”; Cathy Moklebust; Choristers Guild #CGB721
- “Precious Lord, Take My Hand”; Thomas Dorsey; arr. Cathy Moklebust; Agape # 2730
- “Easter Triumph”; J.D. Frizzell; Lorenz #20/1562L
To register for Mount Vernon Baptist Church Festival:
- Send completed BGAV registration form (included in brochure or online) to the Baptist General Association of VA, Office of Worship & Church Music Ministries, by January 20. There is a Program Fee of $23 per ringer, or $100 minimum program per church. If you register online you may pay by credit card or e-check.
- Please indicate on the registration form the number of 6-foot tables that your group will need. Each group is allowed one table for each octave of bells. Additional tables (which have to be rented) are available for $10 per table.
There is a block of rooms being held through January 20 at the Springhill Suites, 9960 Independence Park Dr., Henrico VA 23233. Phone number is 804-217-7075. Rate is $89.00/night plus tax. Please ask for the Virginia Baptist Handbell Festival block.
You may request the BGAV rate at the following hotels:
Holiday Inn Express I-64 Short Pump Area, 9933 Mayland Dr., Richmond VA 23233. The BGAV rate is $89.00/night plus tax. Phone number is 804-934-9300.
Fairfield Inn & Suites Richmond Northwest, 9937 Mayland Dr., Richmond VA 23233. The BGAV rate is $89.00/night plus tax. Phone number is 804-545-4200.
All three hotels are just off I-64 at the Gaskins Road exit, and all include free breakfast.