Funds are provided by Virginia Baptists for students from cooperating churches of the BGAV who need aid in financing their education at one of the BGAV-partnering academies.
The Applicant Must/Must Be:
- An active participant of a cooperating church of the Baptist General Association of Virginia for at least one (1) year prior to the beginning of an academic school year. Applicant must be recommended according to the guidelines included on the Academy Church Endorsement form. The endorsing church must contribute financially to the Virginia portion of the Cooperative Missions budget.
- Enrolled, in grades 9 through 12, or accepted for enrollment, at one of the following BGAV-partnering academies: Fork Union Military Academy, Hargrave Military Academy, or Oak Hill Academy. Enrollment must be verified.
- Involved with the Chaplain’s Office, Church, or other Christian ministries on or off campus and demonstrate the potential for Christian leadership.
- Recipients are expected to show academic promise.
- A full-time student.
- Scholarships are determined primarily by the following five criteria: financial need, Christian service, community service, character, and demonstrated leadership.
- Scholarship amounts are granted per student for the full school year and are determined by the amount of monies available.
- Scholarships are sent directly to the school to be applied toward tuition, with half being sent each semester.
- Those receiving the scholarship will be informed by letter, including the amount of the scholarship, by June 1 of each year.
- In order to be eligible to continue to receive a scholarship, an application must be submitted each year.
- Scholarships are considered as grants and are not expected to be repaid.
- Scholarships are only available for a maximum of four (4) years at the academy level.
- Status: Closed
- Deadline: 12:00pm noon, Thursday, April 1, 2021
- Award Range: Up to $1,000 per year
- Academic Level: Academy (must attend Fork Union Military Academy, Hargrave Military Academy, or Oak Hill Academy)
- Repayment: These funds are to be considered as grants and have no expectation of being repaid.
Through the vision and stewardship of faithful Virginia Baptists, the Baptist General Association of Virginia has offered scholarships to deserving recipients for many years. Through Cooperative Missions gifts of Virginia Baptists around the state, students are able to receive scholarships to assist in their education.
The Baptist General Association of Virginia (BGAV) is committed to the development of emerging leaders of all ages for advancing the Redeemer’s Kingdom. To that end, the BGAV is committed to financially aiding emerging leaders in their educational development.
BGAV Academy Scholarships are given each year by the BGAV Scholarships and Ministerial Education Funds Committee to Virginia Baptist students who
- Attend an accredited school,
- Meet all established requirements, and
- Are enrolled in grades 9, 10, 11, or 12.
At the Academy level, awards are limited to four (4) years.
Through these means, a continuing relationship between the applicant and the Baptist General Association of Virginia will develop.
The scholarships are limited in number and amount. The BGAV Scholarships and Ministerial Education Funds Committee uses five criteria to evaluate each applicant:
- Financial Need
- Christian Service
- Community Service
- Demonstrated Leadership
Recipients are expected to show academic promise, be involved with the Chaplain’s Office, Church, or other Christian ministries on or off campus, and to demonstrate the potential for Christian leadership.
Qualifying applicants are encouraged to apply annually.