Funds are provided by Virginia Baptists for ministerial and lay leaders from cooperating churches of the BGAV in accessing training and continuing education opportunities provided by the BGAV and BGAV ministry partners.
The Applicant Must/Must Be:
- An active member of a cooperating church of the Baptist General Association of Virginia (BGAV) for at least one (1) year prior to the initial application for funds. The endorsing church must contribute financially to the Virginia portion of the Cooperative Missions budget.
- Enrolled through one of our ministry partners.
- A part-time student who is in a non-degree program of study with an emphasis in continuing education for ministry in the local church.
- Agree not to apply for BGAV College Scholarships, BGAV Ministerial Education Funds, or BGAV Nontraditional Ministry Education Scholarships.
- Scholarship amounts are granted per student for the semester and are determined by the amount of monies available per applicant per course.
- Scholarships are sent directly to the sponsoring BGAV ministry partner and credited to the applicant’s tuition. It is expected that the student, his or her church, and the respective ministry partner will share in the cost of matriculation.
- Those receiving the scholarship will be informed by letter, including the amount of the scholarship.
- In order to be eligible to continue to receive a scholarship, an application must be submitted each semester.
- Scholarships are considered as grants and are not expected to be repaid.
- Scholarships are available to cover up to 1/3 the cost of a course with a maximum of three (3) courses per semester and a maximum of six (6) courses per year.
- Status: Open!
- Award Range: 1/3 course cost
- Criteria: Ministers and lay leaders
- Part-time students
- Enrolled through the Baptist General Association of Virginia, the John Leland Center for Theological Studies, Bluefield College, Gardner-Webb University, Averett University, Duke Divinity School, Campbell University Divinity School, Northern Seminary, and McAfee School of Theology
- General Information
- Academic Level: Non-degree (studying in a non-degree program with an emphasis in continuing education for ministry in a local church)
- Repayment: These funds are to be considered as grants and have no expectation of being repaid.
Deadline: Applications must be submitted each semester. Scholarship applications are due into the BGAV Scholarship Office by the first day of the month in which the term you are taking begins.
- Through the vision and stewardship of faithful Virginia Baptists, the Baptist General Association of Virginia has offered scholarships to deserving recipients for many years. Through Cooperative Missions gifts of Virginia Baptists around the state, students are able to receive scholarships to assist in their education.
- The Baptist General Association of Virginia (BGAV) is committed to the development of emerging leaders of all ages for advancing the Redeemer’s Kingdom. To that end, the BGAV is committed to financially aiding emerging leaders in their educational development.
- BGAV Nontraditional Ministry Education Scholarships are given each year by the BGAV Scholarships and Ministerial Education Funds Committee to Virginia Baptist students who meet all established requirements. Through these means, a continuing relationship between the applicant and the Baptist General Association of Virginia will develop.
- BGAV Nontraditional Ministry Education Scholarships assist BGAV church leaders in accessing training and continuing education opportunities provided by the Baptist General Association of Virginia and its ministry partners.
- These scholarships are intended to assist nontraditional students, who are defined as: part-time students who are in non-degree programs of study with an emphasis in continuing education for ministry in the local church.
- Clergy and lay leaders who have a financial need and are active members of a cooperating church of the BGAV may apply for a scholarship for up to one-third the cost of an educational offering sponsored by a ministry partner.
- Current BGAV ministry partners are listed on this page.