Virginia Baptists have entered into a multi-year agreement with the Ghana Baptist Convention to reduce malaria in Yendi, Ghana and to plant churches in the surrounding area. We hope to significantly reduce the cases of malaria through:
- Distributing 100,000 chemically treated mosquito nets within the Yendi municipality. The population of Yendi is approximately 180,602.
- Providing vital education into the proper use of the mosquito net
- Providing additional education on health, awareness and prevention of malaria
“More Than” just distributing mosquito nets
There are approximately 454 communities in Yendi. 145 of those already have a church. Our goal is to assist the Ghana Baptist Convention, under the leadership of church planter Emmanuel “Moose” Mustapha, in planting 309 churches in the remaining villages.
We encourage individuals and churches to purchase “units” for this project. A unit costs $10 and consists of:
$6 = 1 mosquito net
$2 = Education
$1 = Transportation
$1 = Church Planting
Our goal is to raise $1 million in 2 years. This will purchase 100,000 nets, teach residents how to use them, and plant over 300 churches.
- 86,000 nets purchased and distributed
- 400 villages completely netted
- Over 200,000 lives saved
- 43% reduction of malaria incidents in these villages
- Over 450 new congregations established
- 25,000 people have come to know Christ
But It Isn’t Over Yet!
- 14,000 more nets need to be purchased and distributed in 2019
- 45 more villages need to be netted
- 30,000 more people need to be protected by these nets
- 150 more churches need to be planted
- THOUSANDS more need to hear about Christ and be baptized (and this is just in one small area of Ghana)
What You Can Do
- $100 per church is all we need (if each BGAV congregation contributed) to fulfill this goal
- $1 is all we need if each member attending on a Sunday morning contributed
- 5 more teams to go and assist our Ghanaian friends with distribution and church planting
For the latest information on the malaria crisis, read the full 2020 report from the World Health Organization.
- More Than Nets logo (PNG)
- World Malaria Day bulletin insert (PDF)
- World Malaria Day graphic that can be used on social media (JPG)
- More Than Nets digital slide (JPG)
- Bulletin insert (PDF)
Support More Than Nets
Want to Mail Your Donation?
Make checks payable to “Baptist General Association of Virginia” with the designation “More Than Nets” on the memo line and send to:
More Than Nets
Baptist General Association of Virginia
2828 Emerywood Parkway
Richmond, VA 23294
Like the More Than Nets Facebook page for more photos and to stay updated on this exciting project!
More Than Nets Videos