For many college students, summer time is the prime season to gain hands-on experience away from a classroom environment. Thanks to the fellowship with partners, both domestically and internationally, the BGAV is able to send out missionaries to places near and far for six to eight weeks.
“We have a great group of students this year,” said Glenn Maddox, missions mobilizer. “We are excited to serve in locations that provide students with real-world training while supporting the ministries we have in place with our partners,” he added.
- In Beirut, Lebanon, Alma Vela and Sarah Phillips will serve with the Lebanese Society for Educational & Social Development (LSESD), helping with camps for the Syrian children as well as with office assistance. Alma is a sophomore at Virginia Tech. She is a member of Columbia Baptist Church at Crossroads, but attends Northstar Church while she is away at college. Last year, Alma and Sarah both served in Romania with the Kairos Mission Initiative. Alma was also selected for the Kairos Leadership Initiative this year. Sarah is a junior at James Madison University. She is a member of Round Hill Baptist Church and attends Harrisonburg Baptist Church while at school.
- In Vienna, Austria, Drew Dellinger will serve with Cesar Sotomayor, a church planter whom we met through the partnership with the European Baptist Federation. Drew will serve in a variety of ministry projects, such as working with children and providing community service. Drew is a Virginia Tech student and serves as a youth leader at Northstar Church.
- Through our partnership with the Ghana Baptist Convention, Lindsey Hughes is supporting Pastor Emmanuel “Muss” Mustapha through More Than Nets and other ministries. Lindsey is a junior at William and Mary.
- Stateside, Hannah Strouth and Kristin Marker are serving with the Southwest Virginia Partnership in Nickelsville. They will support the community’s construction needs by assisting in volunteer projects, helping to provide logistical arrangements, and/or purchasing the needed materials for each project. Hannah is a sophomore at William and Mary and attends Williamsburg Baptist Church while at school. Kristin, a junior at James Madison University, is a member of Kenbridge Baptist Church and attends Harrisonburg Baptist Church while away at school.
Impact Mission Camps
Impact Mission Camps are held around the Commonwealth of Virginia as well as Romania. Participating church groups minister to the community by helping homeowners in need to rebuild or restore their houses in some capacity. Impact Staffers provide team mobilization, work site encouragement, and worship leadership during the large group sessions.
This summer, Impact will be held in Chesterfield, Danville (Averett University), Orange, Wise, Saluda and Romania. Each staffer will travel to each camp except Romania for five weeks, starting June 19. Impact Romania is scheduled for July 16-26 and July 23-August 2.
- Mikayla Clarke is a returning Impact Staffer and attends Longwood University.
- Kyle Julius is a member of Falling River Baptist Church and attends Liberty University.
- Erin Waddell is a member of First Baptist Church, Richmond, and attends James Madison University.
- Meghan Young is a member of Olive Branch Baptist church and attends Liberty University.
- Fiona Waddell will serve with Impact in Romania and is currently completing her time as a Venturer in Austria. She is a member of First Baptist Church Richmond. Fiona will be working alongside Romanian youth in various ministries through the BGAV/Romania Baptist Partnership.
In addition, two students from Norway will also be serving at the Impact Virginia sites: Fredrik Aasen and Amalie Lund.
Each missionary will be writing blogposts and sharing pictures from their experiences throughout the summer. We are looking forward to hearing the stories these young adults will share from their encounters.