Post by Tony Brooks.
Like any other ministry, for Sunday School to be strong and effective, it requires planning and implementation. When I meet with Pastors and Sunday School Directors, I begin with a checklist of questions. Perhaps a good way for you to check the health of your Sunday School is to gather your Sunday School leaders and answer the following:
- What is your vision for Sunday School? (Remember “Start with Why”)
- Need Balance in Ministry & Programming. Breaking it down:
- What leaders do you have to help with vision and training? (It is best to have a representative from the age groups to form a team to assist.)
- How creative are your teachers?
- How do they follow up lessons from the week before?
- What tools do you have to help them?
- What training is in place to help them?
- Are they mentoring a person in the class to start new classes or take over the class?
- Do you have a teacher appreciation?
- Do you have care groups?
- What visitation program is set up to reach prospects?
- Are you using e-mail, facebook and other media sources?
- Are you intentionally registering people through special services, worship and other activities/ministries?
- Do you have a system of recognition for classes? (Highlight a class a month in your worship bulletin.)
- How receptive are current classes to new members? (Language)
- How inclusive are they in getting their input for ministry?
- Are the classes involved in service projects? (Every class from grade school on should have an ongoing service project.)
Consider these questions as a start for strategic planning and a healthier Sunday School.
We have a free Sunday School Directors webinar on Thursday, February 16th at 7 p.m. that Rev. Steve Zimmerman, experienced Christian Educator and SS Consultant. Here is a description and place to register:
Free Sunday School Director Webinar for Thursday, February 16th at 7 p.m.
Get Your Sunday School Off with a BANG! – Sunday School directors, are you having troubles getting your classes together for planning, sharing and encouragement? In this webinar you will see what Teachers ‘N Training (TNT) can do for your groups to move them forward. (Limited to only 20 participants.)
Deadline to register is February 14.